Woke up earlyish today (with an overwhelming amount of slugs on the outside of our tents) with the main intention getting to town before the post office had closed, but more because we both really wanted a full day in town.
On the way we saw a dead porcupine (puddle of quills around its skeleton) if anyone is interested:
The night before Speedy and I reserved a spot in this women’s house who normally uses the rooms normally for foreign exchange students during the school year. She said she would pick us up at noon, but we got there much earlier and were talking about hitching. Before I was even on board, Speedy sticks out his thumb and literally the first car pulls over to pick us up into town. Those people were really friendly even making multiple stops in town for us. I felt like I couldn’t thank them enough.
After the post office and dropping off stuff at our place of stay, we explored the touristy town of Manchester Center, VT. Learned a bit about Speedy. Definitely would like to hang out after the trail. Genuinely cool guy.
We were especially excited about the Ben and Jerry’s
Had two helpings and came back for more later! Favorite flavor was fish and chips! 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍
Pro-tip: Avoid House of Pizza. We didn’t even box our leftovers. Not a good sign for thru-hikers to dislike food.
Had quite the interesting experience while looking around the self help section of the Northshire book store in town. An older fellow after hearing about my journey repeated over and over before parting that the book in the photo below “was for me.” I do not quite remember what was said, but he was so pushy about this book that he even offered to buy the book after I said I could not. I explained it was not the money, but the weight since I am hiking the Appalachian Trail. The title of the book is, “Be Here Now” by Ram Dass. If this book was not a picture book, I certainly would have bought the audio version. Maybe I will pick it up after my travels.
Here are the books I did purchase on Audible:
- The Power of Habit – Charles Duhigg
- The 7 Irresistible Qualities Men Want in a Woman – Bruce Bryans
- What Women Want in a Man – Bruce Bryans
- The Four Agreements – don Miguel Ruiz
- Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action – Simon Sinek
- You Are a Badass at Making Money: Master the Mindset of Wealth – Jen Sincero
- The Martian – Andy Weir
- Steve Jobs – Walter Isaacson
- How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease – Michael Greger
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counter-intuitive Approach to Living a Good Life – Mark Manson
- Sex at Dawn – Christopher Ryan
The result of those past three wet nights:
Ran into Legs while Speedy and I were heading to McDonald’s after drinking some. I was surprised he was in the process of leaving town minutes before dark to go hike at night to keep hiking.